STEAM is a 10-day intensive summer school in science communication. We introduce an innovative form of education that includes Arts into the classical STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics). Interactive experiments and informal learning with the use of creativity and arts are the key ingredients of our approach. Our ultimate goals are to improve science awareness and develop informed opinions, increase student uptake of STEM careers for high-level jobs, stimulate the socio-economic wellbeing of partner countries, and enhance the transferable skills of current researchers.
STEAM summer school is open to all motivated students and researchers interested in science communication. Teachers, science communication practitioners, science journalists, and established researchers are also encouraged to apply. No previous experience in communication is required. You should be eager to learn, and ready for a fully immersive experience on science communication theory and practice.
This summer school offers you:
- An introduction to all aspects of science communication with no previous knowledge required
- The possibility to experiment with different ways to engage various public groups with scientific research
- A sneak preview into a science communication career
- An opportunity to improve transferable skills and career development (part of Continuous Professional Development)
- Access to educational materials and already established practices
- Large network for international cooperation and knowledge exchange
Summer School Content Outline
- Dialogue and Deliberation — theory and practice of science communication
- Managing and Monitoring — how to work with schools, at science festivals and how to conduct simple evaluation, how to scale up for larger events
- Create and Act —international examples of collaborations between scientists and artists in festivals and theatres
- Media and Journalism —how to write, edit, and create video to effectively communicate science
- Online and Social — how to use online and social media in the most powerful way
- Advocate and Influence — strategies to lobby, work with policy makers, and make your voice heard
- Present and Moderate — how to speak in public and moderate a discussion
STEAM Summer School 2017
The second edition of the STEAM summer school will be held at Golden Coast Hotel & Bungalows on the golden sandy beach of the Marathon Bay, near the historic location of Marathon, at the outskirts of Athens from July 3 to 12.
About the STEAM Team
The STEAM consortium brings together outstanding higher education institutions, science communication companies, and a European-wide network of science journalists. Through the exchange of best practice an intensive study programme will train students and researchers to engage with the public.